Sunday, August 30, 2009

Flip-Flop Party

Anna Cate has repeatedly asked for three things this summer - breasts, braces and a party. Since the first two are out of my hands (and I'm pretty sure she will see that they are highly overrated), I decided I could deliver on the third request. So, we made invitations and delivered them to her three closest friends on the first day of school.

Once the invitations had been delivered, I began planning. I love planning children's parties. There are so many cute themes, games and decorations from which to choose. We picked the "flip-flop" theme and I began to prepare.

I wanted to have an activity that the girls could participate in when they arrived. I began with three pairs of flip-flops and hid one from each pair in the yard. Then I attached a clue to the other flip-flop to help them find the hidden one and make a pair.


When they had all found their lost flip-flop, they decorated them with jewels and ribbons.


Then came time for games. They burst water balloons to see who could make the biggest splash, played sprinkler freeze (in this game, the children run or dance around the sprinkler while the water is off and then have to "freeze" when the water begins to squirt from the sprinkler), jumped on the trampoline and swam in the pool.



Finally, it was time for the cake. Baking is definitely NOT my strong suit, but I think it turned out cute. The girls loved the skittles that outlined the flip-flop shape.



All in all, it was a fun afternoon. I heard lots of squeals and giggles, which is music to this mother's ears.

1 comment:

  1. anna cate is hilarious. i'm still having a hard time imagining her wanting breasts. it seems to me like she wouldn't want to deal with them. and i think i need to have a little you in my pocket when it comes time for my kids' parties. i'm definitely no good at it, and you are the master of all party-planning. i love and miss you three.

    ReplyDelete