Monday, November 1, 2010

True Traditions

As I was looking at the pictures from this Halloween, I was struck by how much the children have all changed since we first met them. Then it occurred to me that we have known these families now for three years and they have truly become a part of who we each are today.  When you move away from home, you have to find some way to create a type of extended family wherever you are so that you can live life with people. Every family needs people that are there to share the big and little events of life, the laughter and the struggles. And an extended family we are - the children sometimes argue, people get frustrated with one another, tease one another and are there to move furniture or wipe tears. And, we have created some wonderful traditions, one of which is our Halloween get together.


It's craziness really. There are children running around everywhere, ten different conversations going on, animals winding through everyone's legs...and surprisingly soothing and restful for me. I love to hear the laughter. I love listening to the children tell their funny stories. I love that there are men that Matthew will actually hug (with only a little discomfort). And I love that like with all traditions, there is no question as to whether or not we will be there only some discussion of how everyone will figure out how to make it work.


No comments:

Post a Comment